Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Nigeria omission hurts Nsofor

Nigerian striker Obinna Nsofor is disappointed to have missed out on selection for the Africa Cup of Nations.
Locomotiv Moscow forward Nsofor was an integral part of Nigeria's team under Samson Siasia's tenure but has been left on the outer by current coach Stephen Keshi.

"I must confess that I am disappointed that I am not going to South Africa with the team," Nsofor said.

"It would have been my wish to go to South Africa and see how we can win the trophy for the third time.

"I was part of the team that played the last game against Guinea before the last Cup of Nations and the memories of missing out right at the National Stadium in Abuja is still fresh on my mind.

"I scored the first goal in that game but we could not qualify for the tournament in Equatorial Guinea and Gabon."

Nsofor added that he is eager to return to the national team and is confident his chance to play under Keshi for the first time will come.

"Yes, I am still waiting for my chance to play under the coach. And I know the opportunity will soon come for me," he said.

The 2013 Africa Cup of Nations starts January 19 in Johannesburg.

"It is going to be one step at a time. But I am confident that the present crop of players are capable of doing the nation proud in South Africa.

"There is this urge to show Africans that the fact that we did not qualify for the last edition is not a reason why any country should underrate Nigeria.

"Coach Stephen Keshi has done well and the team can go ahead to win the trophy in South Africa."

No comments:

Post a Comment